BMW BMW E66/E39/E53 air compressor installation instructions 37221092349 4154031000 (graphic tutorial)
Proper installation is critical to the experience and enjoyment of the benefits of this system. Please take some time to read these installation instructions before you start installing these components on your vehicle. The disassembly and installation of air suspension products can only be carried out by qualified professionals.
It is also important to note all necessary safety measures when installing a new air suspension system. This includes properly lifting and securing the vehicle and isolating all stored energy to prevent personal injury or property damage.
WARNING: The air suspension system is under pressure (up to 10 bar, or 150 lbf / in). Before disassembly, verify that the pressure has been released and disconnect the power to the air suspension system. Do not allow dust or grease to enter the system. Always wear standard hand, ear and eye protection when servicing the air suspension system.
Do not store in an environment below 5°F (-15°C) or above 122°F (50°C).
Avoid damage to air lines and cables.
Disassembly and installation should only be performed by fully qualified personnel.
Use the car manufacturer's diagnostic software.
CAUTION: Failure to work in the manner specified in the instructions or in other order may result in damage to the vehicle and air suspension system.
WARNING: To avoid short circuits when operating electronic components, refer to the user manual to learn how to disconnect the battery.
WARNING: For the correct apex and other maintenance, safety and maintenance instructions on the vehicle, please consult the owner's manual, service manual or car dealer. If there is not enough support, under no circumstances should you do any work under the vehicle, otherwise it may cause serious personal injury or death.
Disassembly of air suspension compressor
1. Remove the spare tire to access the compressor housing. (Figure A) Disconnect the air tube and electrical connector from the compressor to the vehicle. Remove the four (4) bolts that secure the compressor housing to the vehicle (the bolts also secure the cover and housing together). (Figure B)
2. Remove the cover from the housing to expose the compressor. (Figure C, D)
3. Remove the cable clamp from the housing. Disconnect the air line and electrical connectors from the compressor. Remove the air line fitting from the air hose and discard. (Figure E)
4. Remove the three (3) mounting nuts and washers and remove the compressor assembly from the housing. (Figure F)
5. Loosen the relay/solenoid setting screw. (Figure G)
6. Remove three (3) bolts from the back of the mounting bracket. (Figure H)
7. Remove the red/white needle between the compressor motor and the relay. (Figure I)
8. Remove the brown wire pins from the motor to the electrical connector. (Figure J)
Note: If the pins cannot be removed, they may need to be cut, joined and docked.
9. Disassembly is complete.
Air suspension compressor installation
WARNING: During installation, tighten all nuts and bolts to the manufacturer's specifications.
WARNING: Do not remove the air fitting from the air suspension compressor. Doing so may result in damage and/or invalid warranty. Remove the white shipping pin from the new air fitting and insert the air line until it is fully seated.
1. The installation sequence is the reverse of disassembling the air compressor.
The ruptured air spring must be changed to protect the air compressor
The correct procedure for assessing the condition of the air spring:
1. Turn off the air suspension switch (if equipped).
2. Please refer to the user manual for the correct lifting skills and lifting points.
3. Raise the vehicle.
4. Check the air spring for any form of cracking or excessive wear. If the air spring breaks, it is obvious. This will cause the compressor to overheat due to continuous operation.