BMW BMW X5 (E70 / F15) X6 (E71 / F16) 37126790078 rear air bag installation instructions (graphic tutorial)
Proper installation is critical to the experience and enjoyment of the benefits of this system. Please take some time to read these installation instructions before you start installing these components on your vehicle. The disassembly and installation of air suspension products can only be carried out by qualified professionals.
It is also important to note all necessary safety measures when installing a new air suspension system. This includes properly lifting and securing the vehicle and isolating all stored energy to prevent personal injury or property damage.
WARNING: The air suspension system is under pressure (up to 10 bar, or 150 lbf / in). Before disassembly, verify that the pressure has been released and disconnect the power to the air suspension system. Do not allow dust or grease to enter the system. Always wear standard hand, ear and eye protection when servicing the air suspension system.
Do not store in an environment below 5°F (-15°C) or above 122°F (50°C).
Avoid damage to air lines and cables.
Disassembly and installation should only be performed by fully qualified personnel.
Use the car manufacturer's diagnostic software.
CAUTION: Failure to work in the manner specified in the instructions or in other order may result in damage to the vehicle and air suspension system.
WARNING: To avoid short circuits when operating electronic components, refer to the user manual to learn how to disconnect the battery.
WARNING: For the correct apex and other maintenance, safety and maintenance instructions on the vehicle, please consult the owner's manual, service manual or car dealer. If there is not enough support, under no circumstances should you do any work under the vehicle, otherwise it may cause serious personal injury or death.
Air spring disassembly
1. Set the steering to straight forward.
2. Raise the vehicle.
3. Remove the rear wheel. (Figure A)
4. Remove the fasteners and panels below the right side of the vehicle to expose the vehicle's air suspension valve block. (Figure B)
5. Locate the valve block and slowly remove the air line to deflate the air spring. When viewing the valve block, the air hose on the right will deflate the air spring on the right, while the air hose on the left will deflate the air spring on the left. (Figure C)
6. Press the two locking tabs and push the bottom piston up and remove the bottom piston from the lower air spring seat. (Figure D, E)
7. Rotate counterclockwise approximately 90 degrees to remove the top of the air spring. Then pull out the air spring. (Figure F, G)
8. Remove the air line from the air spring. Remove the air line connector from the air hose and discard. (Figure H, I)
Air spring installation
WARNING: During installation, tighten all nuts and bolts to the manufacturer's specifications.
WARNING: Do not remove the air fitting from the air spring. Doing so may result in damage and/or invalid warranty. Remove the white shipping pin from the new air fitting and insert the air line until it is fully seated.
1. The installation sequence is the reverse of removing the air spring.
2. Remove the white shipping pin from the new air fitting and insert the air line. Gently pull the air line back to confirm that the air line is fully seated.
Contact Person: Mrs. Linda Lin